Current time: 17/06/2024, 18:05 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Northern Rail
RE: Northern Rail
(11/01/2016 11:19)wirralbus Wrote:  The 323 isnt going to be Northern unit come the 1st April , so i can see towards the end any new drivers brought into the grade will not be trained on 323's anymore.

That's incorrect. The 323s will be staying with Northern until Autumn 2017, which is also when the next LM franchise starts. If the next LM franchise don't want them or don't want them all initially then maybe Porterbrook will change their mind about not letting Northern have them.
Find all posts by this user
(10/01/2016 16:04)knutstransport Wrote:  Although finding a driver who signs both might be an issue.

Not an issue at all. If a 319 is rescued by a 323, or vice versa then the driver who signs whichever unit is leading the movement drives. Simples.

Plus some Piccadilly Drivers now sign both.

SD.
Another week plagued by 319 failures. 2 went yesterday and 1 on the Piccadilly - Airport stoppers has already bitten the dust this morning. I'm not sure on Monday and Tuesday as wasn't using the trains then.
(14/01/2016 09:53)jtd508110 Wrote:  Another week plagued by 319 failures. 2 went yesterday and 1 on the Piccadilly - Airport stoppers has already bitten the dust this morning. I'm not sure on Monday and Tuesday as wasn't using the trains then.

319386 the one that failed on the Airport line currently resides at Lime St still a failure and 319368 also a failure at Lime St
(14/01/2016 10:28)Gordon V Wrote:  319386 the one that failed on the Airport line currently resides at Lime St still a failure and 319368 also a failure at Lime St

Sounds like they are dropping like flies!
Indeed they are. Would it be fair to say that Northern have bitten off more than they can chew by relying on these electrics to cascade reliable DMU's elsewhere and leaving very little spare capacity?
(14/01/2016 11:12)jtd508110 Wrote:  Indeed they are. Would it be fair to say that Northern have bitten off more than they can chew by relying on these electrics to cascade reliable DMU's elsewhere and leaving very little spare capacity?

It wasn't Northern's decision, it was DfT's decision. Northern actually have 20 x 319s and never need more of 16 of them in service. In contrast TPE have up to 9 of their 10 x 350s in service at the same time, so Northern should be much better placed to deal with maintenance issues.
Since only 16 Class 319s are neded in Service and we have 20 it sounds like they expected the 319s to be a complete fail from the start as why else would you have 4 spare Trains..

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
4 spare isn't all that much I don't think. Trains need maintainace exams etc so they do seem short. Today I've heard the 10:16 LIV - MIA and 11:40 MIA - LIV was formed of a 142
(14/01/2016 12:59)jtd508110 Wrote:  4 spare isn't all that much I don't think. Trains need maintainace exams etc so they do seem short. Today I've heard the 10:16 LIV - MIA and 11:40 MIA - LIV was formed of a 142

It's more in comparison to other unit types, apparently there's 15 x 323s in service in the morning peak on weekdays and 1 x 323 is out long-term for re-tractioning work leaving only 1 other 323 spare.

Apparently they've nabbed a 323 of an Alderley Edge working so the 142 is off the Airport workings.
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)