Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
D&G Bus - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: D&G Bus (/showthread.php?tid=96)

RE: D&G Bus - knutstransport - 26/04/2018 15:31

(10/04/2018 08:23)mikemcniven Wrote:  Its because people don't know whats happening with it as TfGM have failed to update the timetables along the route. It was indeed empty, I rode on it down to Didsbury from Northenden Village, another woman got onboard and was very confused, driver wasn't 100% of landmarks along the way, luckily, me been local, I knew where she wanted and explained it was a replacement in part of the Stagecoach 370 that TfGM had withdrawn.

I wonder if a bigger bus will be used from next week though when schools return as the two Didsbury high schools use to fill up the 370 quite a lot.

D&G were using Streetlites on the 370 last Friday. Does anyone know how they are faring at school starting/finishing times?

RE: D&G Bus - knutstransport - 03/05/2018 14:20

Solo 970SR on the 88A today - not seen one of them in Knutsford for a few weeks. The other 88A bus is a Streetlite, the 88/89 buses are 2 x Streetlites, one 08 reg Solo and one ex-Go Goodwins Solo.

RE: D&G Bus - mikemcniven - 08/05/2018 11:56

D&G have cancelled the 130 Macclesfield to Manchester Airport from 18th June 2018

Now means the roads from Manchester Airport upto Wilmlsow now have no bus service at all

https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/search/find-registered-local-bus-services/details/518990/

RE: D&G Bus - knutstransport - 08/05/2018 14:07

(08/05/2018 11:56)mikemcniven Wrote:  D&G have cancelled the 130 Macclesfield to Manchester Airport from 18th June 2018

Now means the roads from Manchester Airport upto Wilmlsow now have no bus service at all

https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/search/find-registered-local-bus-services/details/518990/

Strange it's gone through as a Short Notice change considering it's not a contracted service. I wonder whether that means there's more changes to follow or whether perhaps they missed that Styal will get an improved train service in a couple of weeks.

I'm not sure it was really working as a through service given the Macclesfield end seemed to need a largish bus, while the Airport end seemed to need a mini-bus.

RE: D&G Bus - knutstransport - 10/05/2018 10:05

(08/05/2018 14:07)knutstransport Wrote:  Strange it's gone through as a Short Notice change considering it's not a contracted service. I wonder whether that means there's more changes to follow or whether perhaps they missed that Styal will get an improved train service in a couple of weeks.

I'm not sure it was really working as a through service given the Macclesfield end seemed to need a largish bus, while the Airport end seemed to need a mini-bus.

Doesn't look like that's the case. No new D&G registrations or revisions of other services have appeared and Cheshire East have now put on their website that the service has been cancelled with Arriva providing an alternative between Wilmslow and Macclesfield and no alternative between Wilmslow and Manchester Airport via Styal.

RE: D&G Bus - Salopbus - 10/05/2018 11:59

(08/05/2018 14:07)knutstransport Wrote:  Strange it's gone through as a Short Notice change considering it's not a contracted service. I wonder whether that means there's more changes to follow or whether perhaps they missed that Styal will get an improved train service in a couple of weeks.

It isn't a short notice change, the new regulations allow for up to 28 days consultation with the Local Authority(ies) on the route then 42 days minimum between submission and implementation. There has been a lot in the trade press about the introduction of this by DfT over night on the 24th April

RE: D&G Bus - mikestone - 10/05/2018 16:11

Cheshire East website concurs - using almost the terminology above regarding no buses from Wilmslow to the Airport - how many residents of Styal will use the bus when they can use the train free of charge while the guard sits in the rear cab?

RE: D&G Bus - iMarkeh - 10/05/2018 17:43

(10/05/2018 16:11)mikestone Wrote:  Cheshire East website concurs - using almost the terminology above regarding no buses from Wilmslow to the Airport - how many residents of Styal will use the bus when they can use the train free of charge while the guard sits in the rear cab?
Look at the demographic of Style. Exactly how many Styal residents use public transport to start with? I would hazard a guess, one or two. There are very very few houses in Styal and then add on it is a very well off area.

HMP Styal and Quarry Bank Mill should have some sort of service. Visitors to prisons can assist with lowering the risk of re-offending. Not everyone has a car so some sort of service that links up with visiting times would be good (Like HMP are doing in Wrexham). Quarry Bank Mill is a popular attraction in the North West. Though the 200 wasn't the best used service, it wasn't really advertised either. If you serve attractions, you have to make it well known so people rethink their options.

I think there was potential but D&G missed some things out. Also, they didn't link up with school times from Styal to Wilmslow which could have got them funding (if there is already a bus running) or got them additional passengers. Little things = big difference.

RE: D&G Bus - knutstransport - 10/05/2018 19:46

(10/05/2018 17:43)iMarkeh Wrote:  Look at the demographic of Style. Exactly how many Styal residents use public transport to start with? I would hazard a guess, one or two. There are very very few houses in Styal and then add on it is a very well off area.

HMP Styal and Quarry Bank Mill should have some sort of service. Visitors to prisons can assist with lowering the risk of re-offending. Not everyone has a car so some sort of service that links up with visiting times would be good (Like HMP are doing in Wrexham). Quarry Bank Mill is a popular attraction in the North West. Though the 200 wasn't the best used service, it wasn't really advertised either. If you serve attractions, you have to make it well known so people rethink their options.

I think there was potential but D&G missed some things out. Also, they didn't link up with school times from Styal to Wilmslow which could have got them funding (if there is already a bus running) or got them additional passengers. Little things = big difference.

I do think a Macclesfield to Manchester Airport service should have more potential than a Wilmslow to Airport shuttle. However, it needs to be remembered the airport has a lot of flights departing between 6am and 8am. People on those flights (and the staff who they encounter between getting to the airport and getting on the plane) will need to be at the airport at 4am or earlier. Too many services serving airports don't operate for long enough and then use standard buses without any luggage space, as if they don't want a group of people boarding each with a suitcase. Also running an airport service and excluding Bank Holidays is like running a commuter service starting after 9am.

Regarding tourist attractions - surely as Tatton Park is one the most visited attractions in the North West and there's a long layover on the 88A service at the Knutsford end that would be a more logical place for D&G to serve than Quarry Bank Mill.

Regarding Styal Prison one thing to note is it gets visitors who don't even know anyone inside: https://theclinkcharity.org/the-clink-restaurants/styal-cheshire/

RE: D&G Bus - iMarkeh - 11/05/2018 17:26

(10/05/2018 19:46)knutstransport Wrote:  I do think a Macclesfield to Manchester Airport service should have more potential than a Wilmslow to Airport shuttle. However, it needs to be remembered the airport has a lot of flights departing between 6am and 8am. People on those flights (and the staff who they encounter between getting to the airport and getting on the plane) will need to be at the airport at 4am or earlier. Too many services serving airports don't operate for long enough and then use standard buses without any luggage space, as if they don't want a group of people boarding each with a suitcase. Also running an airport service and excluding Bank Holidays is like running a commuter service starting after 9am.

Regarding tourist attractions - surely as Tatton Park is one the most visited attractions in the North West and there's a long layover on the 88A service at the Knutsford end that would be a more logical place for D&G to serve than Quarry Bank Mill.

Regarding Styal Prison one thing to note is it gets visitors who don't even know anyone inside: https://theclinkcharity.org/the-clink-restaurants/styal-cheshire/

All of these things seem to pass bus companies minds. Quite a few companies keep trying industrial estates throughout the day forgetting the standard shift times. If you don't run at busy times, you can't expect people to flood to your buses. Tatton Park is a massive attraction and I agree D&G are missing a lot of tricks here. I think they need to up their game if they are to make any money. I should also add, missing school times and school trends is a major thing. There are quite a few kids in Styal who go to Wilmslow high. D&G are too busy being friendly that they are missing what could be a full bus each day if they ran and timed it up properly.

It's like when they has that temp Spath Road bus. Arriva dropped it from the 130, D&G ran Wilmslow to Handforth Dean then moaned no one was using the bus. What is people were going to Macclesfield, Parrs Wood etc. They don't think of the bigger picture D&G, they see an opportunity but don't fully explore the options and then balls up the timetable.