Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
D&G Bus - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: D&G Bus (/showthread.php?tid=96)

RE: D&G Bus - knutstransport - 12/01/2018 21:01

(12/01/2018 20:25)Nicholas Wrote:  They should be able to get passenger data from Cheshire East Council, given it is currently a tendered service.

But will it be detailed enough? If a lot of passengers buy day tickets then it might not help them decide whether Macclesfield to Wilmslow or East Didsbury only would be more viable than going all the way to Manchester.

RE: D&G Bus - knutstransport - 12/01/2018 21:05

(12/01/2018 20:27)E208 WBG Wrote:  Believe D&G start using Tickiter Machines from next week in place of there Wayfarers

How come the Wayfarers stopped accepting passes and travelcards? I thought after all the fuss about no longer accepting travelcards we would see new machines, rather than the same ones with out-of-use written on a piece of paper and put over the card readers.

RE: D&G Bus - YN05 WKE - 13/01/2018 03:41

(12/01/2018 21:05)knutstransport Wrote:  How come the Wayfarers stopped accepting passes and travelcards? I was surprised after all the fuss about no longer accepting travelcards to see new machines, rather than the same ones with out-of-use written on a piece of paper and put over the card readers.

Someone asked on a 85 yesterday that I was a passenger on and the driver said its because from next week they got the new "all singing sll dancing Tickiters"

RE: D&G Bus - Nicholas - 13/01/2018 10:35

(12/01/2018 21:01)knutstransport Wrote:  But will it be detailed enough? If a lot of passengers buy day tickets then it might not help them decide whether Macclesfield to Wilmslow or East Didsbury only would be more viable than going all the way to Manchester.

Well, they would have to look at the data for the opposite direction and see where people are boarding. Either that or do it the old fashioned way and do passenger counts on the bus (covertly if necessary).

It would also depend on costings - current service would require three drivers and buses (with breaks included), but to do something similar to their new M-S service, perhaps with an hour gap for lunch, could be done with two buses + drivers. Another option could be two hourly, with one three hour gap, which could be done with one bus + driver.

RE: D&G Bus - knutstransport - 13/01/2018 11:13

(13/01/2018 10:35)Nicholas Wrote:  Well, they would have to look at the data for the opposite direction and see where people are boarding. Either that or do it the old fashioned way and do passenger counts on the bus (covertly if necessary).

There is a chance some passengers currently buy a day ticket on the 9/10 routes and make onward travel on the 130 or use their weekly/monthly tickets on the 130 on Sundays.

Quote:It would also depend on costings - current service would require three drivers and buses (with breaks included), but to do something similar to their new M-S service, perhaps with an hour gap for lunch, could be done with two buses + drivers. Another option could be two hourly, with one three hour gap, which could be done with one bus + driver.

They'd have to predict which effect not running the full route and reducing the frequency would have on loadings.

Just looking at the figures from when it last went to tender Cheshire East valued the 130 Sunday & Bank Holiday contract at £75,000 for 5 years (I'm not sure of the exact amount it went for) so that works out at just under £45 subsidy per return working.

RE: D&G Bus - knutstransport - 14/01/2018 10:45

(10/01/2018 16:39)mikestone Wrote:  Surprised to see Metrocity 145 on the 85 on Sunday, but note now allocated to Crewe.

According to their website the Metrocity has gone back to Adderley Green with Enviros 34 and 35 going in the opposite direction.

131 was on the 300 route this week and 105 was on the 88 but both are still showing at Crewe allocated so I guess either they were loaned to Wincham while servicing was being carried out or the Crewe depot were covering some workings.

RE: D&G Bus - mikestone - 14/01/2018 11:15

Interestingly they have registered routes E2/3 Leek to Alton to replace the in-house E1 from April.
Do Alton use full size vehicles?

RE: D&G Bus - knutstransport - 14/01/2018 15:30

(14/01/2018 11:15)mikestone Wrote:  Interestingly they have registered routes E2/3 Leek to Alton to replace the in-house E1 from April.
Do Alton use full size vehicles?

If this is the right bus service it looks like they use Plaxton Centros: https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6087/6108871541_7b4b7826f3_b.jpg

RE: D&G Bus - Danfilm007 - 16/01/2018 11:52

Interesting to some - D&G Bus have introduced some new Ticketing machines on the 14th, which feature QR code scanners (For passes like a week one), and also feature contactless card payment (!) which is due "next week" according to the driver I spoke to this morning. Personally, I think it's another barrier to bus usage knocked down (and hope they will market it a bit more to those who, like me, try to avoid carrying cash), but it's interesting that they offer full contactless before the likes of Arriva and Stagecoach do. I know they have their own apps, but for some that's not as convenient as using their card.

RE: D&G Bus - mikemcniven - 16/01/2018 12:44

(16/01/2018 11:52)Danfilm007 Wrote:  Interesting to some - D&G Bus have introduced some new Ticketing machines on the 14th, which feature QR code scanners (For passes like a week one), and also feature contactless card payment (!) which is due "next week" according to the driver I spoke to this morning. Personally, I think it's another barrier to bus usage knocked down (and hope they will market it a bit more to those who, like me, try to avoid carrying cash), but it's interesting that they offer full contactless before the likes of Arriva and Stagecoach do. I know they have their own apps, but for some that's not as convenient as using their card.

Stagecoach already offer full contactless onboard. These Ticketer machines are taking over everywhere with First Group introducing them at the moment as well and Rotala using them on their Diamond Bus North West and West Midlands buses.

Quite good machines, and speedy reading of ENCTS passes, live messages sent to drivers and provide full tracking for operators too, some of which have created services to provide passengers with Live tracking data