Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Buses and the Mersey Tunnels - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Buses and the Mersey Tunnels (/showthread.php?tid=926)

Buses and the Mersey Tunnels - Nwales Bus - 12/01/2015 23:40

Having been an occasional traveller on buses between the Wirral and Liverpool City Centre. I have been wondering regarding the tolls charged to the buses.

With the toll for buses crossing the river £3.40 or £2.80 with the tag, if the operators are paying full price this would lead to Stagecoach and Arriva paying hundreds of pounds every day

Therefore i was wondering do bus operators receive a discount

Thanks in advance

RE: Buses and the Mersey Tunnels - Barney - 13/01/2015 08:53

(12/01/2015 23:40)Nwales Bus Wrote:  Having been an occasional traveller on buses between the Wirral and Liverpool City Centre. I have been wondering regarding the tolls charged to the buses.

With the toll for buses crossing the river £3.40 or £2.80 with the tag, if the operators are paying full price this would lead to Stagecoach and Arriva paying hundreds of pounds every day

Therefore i was wondering do bus operators receive a discount

Thanks in advance

All service buses pay the full rate, although there is a discount for using the Fast-tag. A few years ago, in an attempt to encourage more cross-river bus patronage and reduce car usage, Merseytravel gave bus operators a further discount but this was withdrawn as there was no evidence that it was having any impact other than reducing costs and increasing profits for the operators.