Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Merseytravel Timetable Changes - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Merseytravel Timetable Changes (/showthread.php?tid=72)

RE: Merseytravel Timetable Changes - Barney - 22/01/2015 18:56

(22/01/2015 14:50)wirralbus Wrote:  The problem doesn't stem at Merseytravel's door but at the money they receive from central Government which looks like its getting less and less year on year. One major problem down the line will be the pool of bus companies will soon get smaller and smaller as County Council , TfGM and Merseytravel contracts dry up.

I am amazed by the fact that Merseytravel is still able to maintain as many of these subsidised services as it does. From what I have read and heard recently there are many parts of England and Wales where bus services are being cut to the bone. Consequently, the people who need these services most - OAPs, the youth and non-motorists - are left isolated and denied the freedom to roam beyond their own back yard.

RE: Merseytravel Timetable Changes - moreton407 - 23/01/2015 06:50

(21/01/2015 12:58)bolton bus basher Wrote:  Having had a better look at the 36 Timetable i have noticed the Driver gets 47 Min Layover after every round trip, am now thinking the Service would have to really pick up to pay a Driver to do nothing for so long, maybe they should of extended it somewhere else like Huyton or Halewood, this would mean the Driver is not doing nothing for so long and theres the chance for extra income for the service

EDIT: The 38 gets no layover at all, very risky business

Do you think the 36 and 38 may interwork, change numbers at Belle Vale to reduce waiting time?

RE: Merseytravel Timetable Changes - T42 PVM - 23/01/2015 11:44

(23/01/2015 06:50)moreton407 Wrote:  Do you think the 36 and 38 may interwork, change numbers at Belle Vale to reduce waiting time?

i thought this myself but it looks like a straight in, straight out job for the 38, the 36 is probs worked how it is so Drivers can have a mealbreak at Belle Vale but i still cant see 47 mins every time working

RE: Merseytravel Timetable Changes - M60lad - 24/01/2015 07:36

While 47mins layover does seem rather excessive there are some services here in Greater Manchester that have quite a bit of layover time, take Arriva's Sunday 494 Bury-Ferngrove service in Bury as an example this gets over 30mins layover each time at Bury Interchange, then there's First Manchester's 425 Holts-Fittion Hill service which in the evening gets just short of 30mins every time it gets to Holts and the regular drivers on the route that do it love the long layovers as it breaks the duty up a bit.

RE: Merseytravel Timetable Changes - T42 PVM - 24/01/2015 09:47

not forgetting that the 494 is a Tender and the 425 is an established route..

RE: Merseytravel Timetable Changes - mathias - 24/01/2015 12:43

(22/01/2015 18:56)Barney Wrote:  I am amazed by the fact that Merseytravel is still able to maintain as many of these subsidised services as it does. From what I have read and heard recently there are many parts of England and Wales where bus services are being cut to the bone. Consequently, the people who need these services most - OAPs, the youth and non-motorists - are left isolated and denied the freedom to roam beyond their own back yard.

We're lucky on Merseyside in having two Mersey Tunnels (with rip-off tolls). They produced a £7m surplus last year, and this cash gets ploughed back into supporting OAP passes and essential routes.

This explains why Merseytravel can afford free Christmas Day services, and we don't suffer as much as other areas.
So the tunnels are a rip-off, but they do some goodSmile

RE: Merseytravel Timetable Changes - Barney - 24/01/2015 17:42

(24/01/2015 12:43)mathias Wrote:  We're lucky on Merseyside in having two Mersey Tunnels (with rip-off tolls). They produced a £7m surplus last year, and this cash gets ploughed back into supporting OAP passes and essential routes.

This explains why Merseytravel can afford free Christmas Day services, and we don't suffer as much as other areas.
So the tunnels are a rip-off, but they do some goodSmile

This is not really the thread for this discussion but I shall add my opinion nevertheless. I commuted through the tunnel for over 33 years, initially by public transport but later as a motorist. Although I could have opted to move across the river in order to avoid the tolls I chose not to. Many of my colleagues did, but that was their choice. As far as I am concerned, when there is a real option, if people choose to use their own vehicle as opposed to public transport to commute they should have to pay a premium for it.

RE: Merseytravel Timetable Changes - F255ytj - 26/01/2015 23:11

Updated page
http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/travelling-around/Pages/Future-bus-service-changes--.aspx

RE: Merseytravel Timetable Changes - St Helens Rider - 26/01/2015 23:33

Interesting change in layout with more information rather than just route/timetable change.

RE: Merseytravel Timetable Changes - wirralbus - 27/01/2015 00:17

Like that information better , gives a bit more flesh on the bones of the changes .