Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
[Archive] Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: [Archive] Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot (/showthread.php?tid=2)

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - Valandil - 16/06/2013 17:39

What is patronage like on the night buses?
I imagine they're all tendered?

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - First Class - 16/06/2013 18:26

(16/06/2013 17:39)Valandil Wrote:  What is patronage like on the night buses?
I imagine they're all tendered?

Arriva night buses are fully commercial services, operating without subsidy.

As a result, the fares are particularly high.

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - R879 HRF - 16/06/2013 19:02

(16/06/2013 18:26)First Class Wrote:  As a result, the fares are particularly high.

However compared to the price of a taxi for a friday/saturday night in or out of Liverpool, its excellent!

I personally think the night buses would benefit from being re routed in the city centre, perhaps serving cook street and passing the bars and clubs and then down sir thomas street like day time services would make it a real earner, i doubt clubbers will walk all the way to QS bus station to get a night bus as after a few drinks navigation isnt really an option.. perhaps taking the service to the customer may be beneficial rather than hoping the customer will come to the night bus, which isnt likely after a few drinks!

Just a thought as QS is always dead of a night, very few passers by, whereas if the buses went to the busy areas where the night life actually is... maybe worth a thought!

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - wirralbus - 16/06/2013 19:11

I think by using the one area of Liverpool for night buses means that security is well placed if anything untoward starts up and can be on site quite quickly , by spreading the route around Liverpool you dilute any security staff you have .

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - R879 HRF - 16/06/2013 20:52

(16/06/2013 19:11)wirralbus Wrote:  I think by using the one area of Liverpool for night buses means that security is well placed if anything untoward starts up and can be on site quite quickly , by spreading the route around Liverpool you dilute any security staff you have .

That is one problem I had thought of, but if they moved the main boarding stop to Victoria Street rather than Queen Square then the night bus boarding staff could go with. It just seems to make more sense to run the bus in the more active areas.

On another note, 2 VLWs on 411s today, one noted was 4204.

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - T42 PVM - 16/06/2013 20:59

4200 is the other

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - busdude - 16/06/2013 23:53

(16/06/2013 19:02)R874 ERE Wrote:  
(16/06/2013 18:26)First Class Wrote:  As a result, the fares are particularly high.

I personally think the night buses would benefit from being re routed in the city centre, perhaps serving cook street and passing the bars and clubs and then down sir thomas street like day time services would make it a real earner, i doubt clubbers will walk all the way to QS bus station to get a night bus as after a few drinks navigation isnt really an option.. perhaps taking the service to the customer may be beneficial rather than hoping the customer will come to the night bus, which isnt likely after a few drinks!

Personally i dont reckon this would be a good idea, due to the fact there is a lot of congestion at night with a lot of taxi's around, and police etc. It would just hold the bus up making it late. As for the clubbers, you would be surprised with the amount of people who actually use the night buses from Queen Square

Surprisingly a lot of people use the night buses of a weekend, ive seen many drunken people in Queen Square at night.

it was a few months ago i used night service N37 at around 3am. I werent to drunk that night so i got curious and i counted all the people who got on, and i remember that 33 people got on and each one paid £4. Thats if i added correctly £132 made just from that one service. Imagine how much they make throughout the night with all 3 night services.

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - wirralbus - 17/06/2013 10:36

Over the years Arriva cut the Nightbus service down to just the one lucrative night for most of the network which is Saturday into Sunday .

Friday into Saturday must not have been bringing in the revenue they thought there was .

The N450 is about the only service now that runs in both directions , all the other night bus services are just with flow (outbound ) only from Liverpool .

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - T42 PVM - 17/06/2013 10:44

what night buses are left now then that arriva still do within merseyside?

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - wirralbus - 17/06/2013 11:12

N23 Liverpool - Moreton
N37 Liverpool - West Kirby
N450 Liverpool - New Brighton - Liverpool (outbound via Birkenhead Tunnel, inbound via Wallasey Tunnel).