Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
[Archive] Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: [Archive] Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot (/showthread.php?tid=2)

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - K101HUM - 12/02/2013 20:56

Speaking of a strong contingent of single deckers operating the cross river routes, a P&P'd Cadet was noted being towed through the Kingsway tunnel earlier Laird St bound via a RNW recovery vehicle.

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - SNL 824 - 12/02/2013 21:52

(12/02/2013 12:23)R874 ERE Wrote:  Just seen another one in Neston this morning, had a few drivers on it - perhaps theyve decided to combine new 487 training with hybrid training. The bus can be used to train drivers on the part of the route that has changed, aka Brook St to Ness Gardens and back as that section has no bridges. Very interesting, nice to see one out and about too, they look the part.

Also, 2432 is out on the 464 today.

Killing two birds with one stone would actually make sense, apart from the fact that anyone driving the 487 won't be driving a decker!

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - lcm453 - 12/02/2013 21:54

What does the Sapphire treatment entail?

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - SNL 824 - 12/02/2013 22:19

(12/02/2013 14:06)R874 ERE Wrote:  
(12/02/2013 12:56)wirralbus Wrote:  is it just the Liverpool Road bridge in Neston that precludes double decker operation of the 487/8.

Correct, that along with the one by neston station. The one on Liverpool Road is too low for any double decker, and the one at Neston Station is only suitable for low height deckers.

There are a few trips which would benefit deckers during peak hours - the 0800 from Neston Greenfields to Liverpool gets a full load of school kids going to wirral grammar, its usually a full seated load with a few standees however it isn't uncommon for it to be a completly full load, resulting in the driver not picking up any passengers.

A re-think of the route around Neston may be beneficial to enable decker use - not on a regular basis but in the event of vehicle shortages or the event of a breakdown, it just means any bus could be sent out. Just a thought! :P
These bridges have been puzzling me for a while as I remember Crosville using Lodkkas on Chester, Parkgate and Burton services through Neston back in the early seventies. More recently Arriva Wales used Olympians on the 59A.

The bridge by the station was definitely not a problem for these, nor was it for DVGs, DVLs or DOGs.

However I don't definitively remember deckers on the F17 or C23, these being the route derivatives that would specifically have used Liverpool Road, as opposed to the C22 and F18, which avoided the bridge. My connection at the time was Little Neston, so I rode these latter routes regularly and they certainly used deckers regularly.

As I have said previously there is a very simple diversion via Drake Road and Raby Road to avoid the bridge, albeit that parked cars on Drake Road might be a problem.

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - SNL 824 - 12/02/2013 22:20

(12/02/2013 14:06)R874 ERE Wrote:  
(12/02/2013 12:56)wirralbus Wrote:  is it just the Liverpool Road bridge in Neston that precludes double decker operation of the 487/8.

Correct, that along with the one by neston station. The one on Liverpool Road is too low for any double decker, and the one at Neston Station is only suitable for low height deckers.

There are a few trips which would benefit deckers during peak hours - the 0800 from Neston Greenfields to Liverpool gets a full load of school kids going to wirral grammar, its usually a full seated load with a few standees however it isn't uncommon for it to be a completly full load, resulting in the driver not picking up any passengers.

A re-think of the route around Neston may be beneficial to enable decker use - not on a regular basis but in the event of vehicle shortages or the event of a breakdown, it just means any bus could be sent out. Just a thought! :P
These bridges have been puzzling me for a while as I remember Crosville using Lodkkas on Chester, Parkgate and Burton services through Neston back in the early seventies. More recently Arriva Wales used Olympians on the 59A.

The bridge by the station was definitely not a problem for these, nor was it for DVGs, DVLs or DOGs.

However I don't definitively remember deckers on the F17 or C23, these being the route derivatives that would specifically have used Liverpool Road, as opposed to the C22 and F18, which avoided the bridge. My connection at the time was Little Neston, so I rode these latter routes regularly and they certainly used deckers regularly.

As I have said previously there is a very simple diversion via Drake Road and Raby Road to avoid the bridge, albeit that parked cars on Drake Road might be a problem.

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - Palatine II - 12/02/2013 22:47

A friend of mine had 2456 today. They said it was a plesure to have back, and was very quick!

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - motormayhem - 13/02/2013 05:58

(12/02/2013 21:54)lcm453 Wrote:  What does the Sapphire treatment entail?

A full interior revamp with new floors,new leather seating,new dual purpose seating upstairs,new livery etc etc.

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - N301 CKB - 13/02/2013 09:54

(12/02/2013 21:52)SNL 824 Wrote:  
(12/02/2013 12:23)R874 ERE Wrote:  Just seen another one in Neston this morning, had a few drivers on it - perhaps theyve decided to combine new 487 training with hybrid training. The bus can be used to train drivers on the part of the route that has changed, aka Brook St to Ness Gardens and back as that section has no bridges. Very interesting, nice to see one out and about too, they look the part.

Also, 2432 is out on the 464 today.

Killing two birds with one stone would actually make sense, apart from the fact that anyone driving the 487 won't be driving a decker!
You are correct Luke, drivers are being trained for the new 487 route with the hybrid training too. The Cross River branding looks really good on the new Hybrids too!

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - R879 HRF - 13/02/2013 16:23

4492 on hybrid and 487 training today - anybody looking out for it it runs 3/4 times per day - saw it today at Clatterbridge toward Neston at 0925, and just seen it again in Spital heading toward Liverpool at 1545.

I agree N301, they look the part!

Also I agree with you 507009 - I had a ride on 2456 today on the 410 and it was terrible! The rattly idle was nowhere near as bad as any of the others but was just sluggish. Just a typical Myllennium really.

RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - Penny Return - 13/02/2013 21:20

With 4492 this afternoon were at least another 3 Hybrids tucked away around
the back so more have arrived