Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Manchester bus franchising - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Manchester bus franchising (/showthread.php?tid=1579)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Manchester bus franchising - Mayneway - 26/12/2022 20:31

(26/12/2022 19:46)iMarkeh Wrote:  How very naieve of you. TFGM can't organise the stuff they have now. Each year, they have the job to sort school buses by September and yet they award the contracts last minute to operators miles away because they can't cover stuff. The staff there are godawful.

Not really. TFGM are doing things on a per depot basis which makes it harder to move routes around. If they went down the London style franchising, this would have been significantly easier to make work. Low on staff, don't retender for a route and let someone else run it. It's not so easy when it's a depot load.

As for the Traffic Commissioner, are you sure that the TC will apply in Manchester when franchising properly takes place? The Traffic Commissioner does nothing in London really. Registrations are covered by TFL (under London Service Permits). I think the only regulation on buses in London would be DVSA if they do roadworthiness, the rest is devolved down to TFL.

Having been a driver in Manchester for many years I have to agree with you. TFGM couldn’t organise a teddy bears picnic. It’s got disaster written all over it. From next September things like revenue protection and customer services become TFGM’s concern. There’s been talk of job fairs and recruitment drivers to try and recruit the staff they will need yet there’s been absolutely nothing. Anyone who thinks TFGM will have this all sown up are in for a shock.

RE: Manchester bus franchising - Mrboo - 26/12/2022 22:49

(26/12/2022 19:37)Mayneway Wrote:  Simply put its uncertainty. I work for an operator and the desire to work for anyone else doesn’t really work for me but potentially the likes of stagecoach could win the remaining depots and it be a case of working for them being unhappy or travelling miles to continue working for my preferred choice.
Pay wise I think Arriva are on the best money now and management there have ruled out playing a part in franchising because they couldn’t offer competive prices with the pay rise they were forced to give drivers to rind the strike in the summer so can’t see us getting much more.
And this is a big issue as who will want to TUPE staff on terms that are more the going rate. I had a issue with one company as I was on there books but was they taken over by another company I also work for and I asked if would I get the higher rate. and I was told no as they would not TUPE me even know I worked for another firm longer. I see DNW are trying to keep staff now would that mean they don't want to TUPE everyone? other issue is will it be right some people on better terms then others all down to who they was TUPE from? I see Unions having a field day over this.

RE: Manchester bus franchising - gka472l - 27/12/2022 14:52

(25/12/2022 16:47)CX06 BHE Wrote:  I was under impression Wigan would close and be merged with the current Diamond Depot in Bolton

So will stagecoach wigan buses be included in sale to GNW like Diamonds be intresting to see what fleet GNW actually keep

I suppose it's up to Stagecoach to decide whether to sell the vehicles or keep them and cascade elsewhere......

HTH

RE: Manchester bus franchising - knutstransport - 27/12/2022 18:17

(26/12/2022 22:49)Mrboo Wrote:  they would not TUPE me

There's no automatic right to TUPE. It's an alternative to redundancy if work transfers from one to another but that doesn't mean all staff are safe from redundancy.

Pay won't be the sole consideration. Some coach hire operators offer part time contracts to allow semi-retired drivers to allow them to just do school contracts and nothing else. That kind of contract might not interest the big operators who fit other service work around school contracts and don't want vehicles returning to the depot after the school run.

Quote:other issue is will it be right some people on better terms then others all down to who they was TUPE from? I see Unions having a field day over this.

Just look at rail franchising for examples of that.

Some ex-Central Trains staff joined ex-Midland Mainline at East Midlands Railway, others joined ex-Silverlink staff at London Midland.

And as for ex-First North Western - some joined Arriva Trains Wales, most joined the Northern franchise (under Serco/Abellio) and some joined First TransPennine. Then the North West First TransPennine staff joined Northern franchise (under Arriva).

RE: Manchester bus franchising - Mrboo - 27/12/2022 18:59

(27/12/2022 18:17)knutstransport Wrote:  There's no automatic right to TUPE. It's an alternative to redundancy if work transfers from one to another but that doesn't mean all staff are safe from redundancy.

Pay won't be the sole consideration. Some coach hire operators offer part time contracts to allow semi-retired drivers to allow them to just do school contracts and nothing else. That kind of contract might not interest the big operators who fit other service work around school contracts and don't want vehicles returning to the depot after the school run.

Some ex-Central Trains staff joined ex-Midland Mainline at East Midlands Railway, others joined ex-Silverlink staff at London Midland.

And as for ex-First North Western - some joined Arriva Trains Wales, most joined the Northern franchise (under Serco/Abellio) and some joined First TransPennine. Then the North West First TransPennine staff joined Northern franchise (under Arriva).
But my point is take GNW V Stagecoach Middleton dif Stagecoach lost Middleton but worn Queen road. Stagecoach. Could move staff and say we don't want anyone who got better terms like ones from GMbusss days

RE: Manchester bus franchising - Michael - 27/12/2022 19:37

(27/12/2022 18:59)Mrboo Wrote:  But my point is take GNW V Stagecoach Middleton dif Stagecoach lost Middleton but worn Queen road. Stagecoach. Could move staff and say we don't want anyone who got better terms like ones from GMbusss days

They can't do that...that would be breaking employment law....also they can't make staff transfer....there is also a notice up at all stagecoach depots saying drivers terms & conditions are protected..whoever ends up running them...this can be renogated by the union reps & whoever we end up working for

RE: Manchester bus franchising - Mayneway - 27/12/2022 20:21

(27/12/2022 18:17)knutstransport Wrote:  There's no automatic right to TUPE. It's an alternative to redundancy if work transfers from one to another but that doesn't mean all staff are safe from redundancy.

There is a stipulation regarding TUPE. Whoever takes over depots and contracts HAS to offer TUPE to any staff effected my the change. We have been told this already in a Q&A with our management.

RE: Manchester bus franchising - Mayneway - 27/12/2022 20:24

(27/12/2022 19:37)Michael Wrote:  They can't do that...that would be breaking employment law....also they can't make staff transfer....there is also a notice up at all stagecoach depots saying drivers terms & conditions are protected..whoever ends up running them...this can be renogated by the union reps & whoever we end up working for

Yep we have been told the same. If our depot is taken over by another operator we can either TUPE over and remain where we are or stay with the existing company and move depots.

RE: Manchester bus franchising - 1466 - 27/12/2022 20:41

Staff will be TUPE'd over, and the contracts are subject to the Greater Manchester Good Employment Charter, which will preserve and enhance employment rights, amusing seeing the MD's of GNW and Diamond committing to worker's rights https://youtu.be/me9Y5FqjWWs

RE: Manchester bus franchising - Mrboo - 27/12/2022 21:41

(27/12/2022 20:41)1466 Wrote:  Staff will be TUPE'd over, and the contracts are subject to the Greater Manchester Good Employment Charter, which will preserve and enhance employment rights, amusing seeing the MD's of GNW and Diamond committing to worker's rights https://youtu.be/me9Y5FqjWWs

Like my bother who works for a super market doing delivery he get 20min break after 5hrs as only 7hr day. You can be well within the rules but be sh*t.