Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Manchester bus franchising - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Manchester bus franchising (/showthread.php?tid=1579)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Manchester bus franchising - Michael - 23/06/2023 19:47

(23/06/2023 19:06)CUL 73V Wrote:  That's a shame, I was hoping Go Ahead would hold onto Queens Road.

Any idea when the next tranche is announced, please?

April 2024

RE: Manchester bus franchising - Metroline1511 - 24/06/2023 05:39

A swap is that basically Stagecoach services in Wigan have been won by Go North West, while GoNW services in Manchester have been won by Stagecoach.

I wonder whether First services in Rochdale will basically be those run by Transdev Rosso?

This may reduce Stagecoach prospects in south Manchester so that they do not end up dominating Greater Manchester unduly.

RE: Manchester bus franchising - Michael - 24/06/2023 08:11

(24/06/2023 05:39)Metroline1511 Wrote:  A swap is that basically Stagecoach services in Wigan have been won by Go North West, while GoNW services in Manchester have been won by Stagecoach.

I wonder whether First services in Rochdale will basically be those run by Transdev Rosso?

This may reduce Stagecoach prospects in south Manchester so that they do not end up dominating Greater Manchester unduly.

I take it transdev have won nothing....where does this leave there Rochdale depot...surely they can't keep a depot just for the 464 unless they expect to win some schools

RE: Manchester bus franchising - CUL 73V - 24/06/2023 09:23

(23/06/2023 19:47)Michael Wrote:  April 2024

Thank you.

(24/06/2023 05:39)Metroline1511 Wrote:  A swap is that basically Stagecoach services in Wigan have been won by Go North West, while GoNW services in Manchester have been won by Stagecoach.

With the electric bus order, I'd say Stagecoach will hold onto Stockport. I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

RE: Manchester bus franchising - Mrboo - 24/06/2023 11:07

(24/06/2023 09:23)CUL 73V Wrote:  Thank you.

With the electric bus order, I'd say Stagecoach will hold onto Stockport. I'd be very surprised if they didn't.
If stagecoach keep Stockport I can see a legal action.

Go ahead could also be in it for Stockport with there knowledge of running London electric routes. I really don't think we seen last of go ahead wins. Also arriva may go for a big depot. And uk transport group not won anything.

RE: Manchester bus franchising - Y458 KNF - 24/06/2023 11:44

(24/06/2023 11:07)Mrboo Wrote:  If stagecoach keep Stockport I can see a legal action.

Go ahead could also be in it for Stockport with there knowledge of running London electric routes. I really don't think we seen last of go ahead wins. Also arriva may go for a big depot. And uk transport group not won anything.

Arriva don’t want to bid for anything they are focusing on Merseyside

RE: Manchester bus franchising - Metroline1511 - 24/06/2023 12:41

(24/06/2023 08:11)Michael Wrote:  I take it transdev have won nothing....where does this leave there Rochdale depot...surely they can't keep a depot just for the 464 unless they expect to win some schools

Maybe route 464 would move to Blackburn or Burnley depot, or an outstation?

RE: Manchester bus franchising - Barney - 24/06/2023 12:46

(24/06/2023 11:44)Y458 KNF Wrote:  Arriva don’t want to bid for anything they are focusing on Merseyside

No decision has been made yet as to whether the LCR (Merseyside) will follow Manchester's lead and adopt franchising but a decision is expected before the end of this year. If, as seems likely, the LCR does go with a franchising model that could become very problematic for Arriva.

Arriva has the lion's share of commercial services within Merseyside and, if what has happened in the first two tranches within Manchester is any indicator, Arriva could find itself losing several depots and dozens of routes in the bidding process to operators not currently serving the LCR.

Further, Arriva's German parent company Deutsche Bahn has again announced that it wishes to divest its UK assets.

RE: Manchester bus franchising - CUL 73V - 24/06/2023 13:07

(24/06/2023 12:46)Barney Wrote:  Arriva has the lion's share of commercial services within Merseyside and, if what has happened in the first two tranches within Manchester is any indicator, Arriva could find itself losing several depots and dozens of routes in the bidding process to operators not currently serving the LCR.

It's no indicator at all. Arriva haven't, and do not intend to, bid for any TfGM franchises. They've no interest in partaking.

Bus franchising would be a disaster in LCR. The roll out of the new trains has turned Merseyrail into an unreliable basket case. The new hydrogen buses are riddled with faults and can't be put into service. What makes people think franchising the bus network would be any better? Not to mention the burden to the taxpayer in a cost of living crisis.

If the buses go over to franchising in LCR, I'm leaving the industry.

RE: Manchester bus franchising - GMBuses North - 24/06/2023 14:30

(24/06/2023 13:07)CUL 73V Wrote:  It's no indicator at all. Arriva haven't, and do not intend to, bid for any TfGM franchises. They've no interest in partaking.

Bus franchising would be a disaster in LCR. The roll out of the new trains has turned Merseyrail into an unreliable basket case. The new hydrogen buses are riddled with faults and can't be put into service. What makes people think franchising the bus network would be any better? Not to mention the burden to the taxpayer in a cost of living crisis.

If the buses go over to franchising in LCR, I'm leaving the industry.

Surely faults with *new* vehicles are the issue of the builder not the operator?! Therefore, nothing to do with franchising.