Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
MP Travel - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MP Travel (/showthread.php?tid=1370)

RE: MP Travel - motormayhem1 - 12/10/2020 08:43

I totally agree with the staff pass scenario, il let any bus operator staff pass to be used on my bus as we are all in the same boat.

RE: MP Travel - Liamkennedy2231 - 12/10/2020 11:27

(12/10/2020 08:43)motormayhem1 Wrote:  I totally agree with the staff pass scenario, il let any bus operator staff pass to be used on my bus as we are all in the same boat.

One of the many reasons I despised Halton!

RE: MP Travel - trixmax2000 - 12/10/2020 18:53

(12/10/2020 11:27)Liamkennedy2231 Wrote:  One of the many reasons I despised Halton!

Yes Halton would never accepted other operators staff passes remember few years back was talking to a retired Halton driver with 40 years service and he had to hand in his pass

RE: MP Travel - Liamkennedy2231 - 12/10/2020 21:04

(12/10/2020 18:53)trixmax2000 Wrote:  Yes Halton would never accepted other operators staff passes remember few years back was talking to a retired Halton driver with 40 years service and he had to hand in his pass

That’s just disgraceful

RE: MP Travel - ant17612 - 13/10/2020 15:26

New arrival here, very interesting one at that! https://flic.kr/p/2jTrU2n

RE: MP Travel - djb - 13/10/2020 17:58

(13/10/2020 15:26)ant17612 Wrote:  New arrival here, very interesting one at that! https://flic.kr/p/2jTrU2n

Rode on one of these on Isle of Mull years ago, and I’ve got to say it was a very pleasant ride. Could have been a very successful niche longer distance bus if things had gone differently.

RE: MP Travel - knutstransport - 17/10/2020 08:49

(12/10/2020 08:43)motormayhem1 Wrote:  I totally agree with the staff pass scenario, il let any bus operator staff pass to be used on my bus as we are all in the same boat.

There's a few ways of looking at this:

1. Arriva are a separate company to Stagecoach. A Tesco employee wouldn't expect to receive staff discounts at Sainsburys and if a Sainsburys employee processed the staff discount for their friend in the same boat they would be disciplined for abusing the scheme.
2. Some of the big operators offer more staff incentives than just free travel on their buses in the local area, so if there's a generous staff scheme why should an operator like Halton have offered Arriva drivers free travel, especially as that would be a direct cost to council tax payers?
3. Some drivers may be able to use the services of the operator they work for but others may not so it may not seem fair if they have an incentive which isn't useful. For example, a D&G driver living in Winsford would have to get an Arriva bus before they can make use of any staff pass.
4. I've heard of train guards turning a blind eye to other rail staff who have passes for other operator's services and the justification they use is if you have another guard on the train then it's an additional person who can help out in an emergency.

RE: MP Travel - knutstransport - 17/10/2020 08:52

(12/10/2020 21:04)Liamkennedy2231 Wrote:  That’s just disgraceful

It's only disgraceful if the operator promised the pass could be retained after retiring and then withdrew it. Pensioners get the national bus pass which allows free travel after 09:30 on weekdays and all day at weekends, so the only thing that retired driver missed out on is free travel in the weekday morning peaks which is arguably a time people should avoid unless absolutely essential.

RE: MP Travel - Liamkennedy2231 - 17/10/2020 10:08

(17/10/2020 08:52)knutstransport Wrote:  It's only disgraceful if the operator promised the pass could be retained after retiring and then withdrew it. Pensioners get the national bus pass which allows free travel after 09:30 on weekdays and all day at weekends, so the only thing that retired driver missed out on is free travel in the weekday morning peaks which is arguably a time people should avoid unless absolutely essential.

True, that’s the legal/operational way of looking at it. But there’s also a moral side to it - if a driver has been serving for 40 years, it’s the right thing to do to let them keep it, instead of “Your no longer employed by us, so we’re taking your pass. Bye.”

RE: MP Travel - SK15 GZG - 17/10/2020 10:45

(17/10/2020 10:08)Liamkennedy2231 Wrote:  True, that’s the legal/operational way of looking at it. But there’s also a moral side to it - if a driver has been serving for 40 years, it’s the right thing to do to let them keep it, instead of “Your no longer employed by us, so we’re taking your pass. Bye.”

If a driver has been with a company that long then they'll qualify for a Merseytravel pass anyway...