Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot (/showthread.php?tid=125)

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - knutstransport - 11/08/2018 08:25

(10/08/2018 18:18)33109 Wrote:  If it's only a 2 hourly service it'd kill it totally. The live tracking is the only good thing I can think of.

Well yes patronage would drop but if suitable commuter services were retained then people from Wilmslow and Alderley Edge needing to get to Macc for medical or unemployment provision would be inconvenienced rather than not travelling at all, as seen with the 27/88 Macclesfield to Knutsford.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - Metroline1511 - 11/08/2018 08:50

(09/08/2018 15:11)knutstransport Wrote:  If a rumour posted on another forum is to be believed Arriva are considering pulling the plug on the 130 in October.

I would be surprised given that it is a Sapphire service.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - RedPanda - 11/08/2018 09:48

(11/08/2018 08:50)Metroline1511 Wrote:  I would be surprised given that it is a Sapphire service.

Sapphire is promoting the route but at the end of the day its down to profit. I think we can all agree that it makes little profit for Arriva even with subsidies.

We have to remember though the 130 not yet withdrawn. I think some of us are forgetting that.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - knutstransport - 11/08/2018 09:54

(11/08/2018 09:48)RedPanda Wrote:  Sapphire is promoting the route but at the end of the day its down to profit. I think we can all agree that it makes little profit for Arriva even with subsidies.

We have to remember though the 130 not yet withdrawn. I think some of us are forgetting that.

The 130 is not subsided, unless you include the subsides to reimburse operators for accepting ENCTS.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - RedPanda - 11/08/2018 11:11

(11/08/2018 09:54)knutstransport Wrote:  The 130 is not subsided, unless you include the subsides to reimburse operators for accepting ENCTS.

Always thought that part of the route in Cheshire was subsided along with all Sunday 130’s. Thanks for the info.
It still stands though if operators fail to make profits, they’re going to pull out.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - 33109 - 11/08/2018 13:48

Exactly, if patronage doesn't pick up then they'll pull the plug. ATM it barely even gets that busy in peak times anymore even.

Also thought arriva were meant to be withdrawing their sapphire brand? Way things are going I wouldn't be at all surprised if arriva drop it.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - iMarkeh - 11/08/2018 18:58

The second you drop the frequency, you drop a lot of passengers. Not just the regulars on the withdrawn trips but also the occasional passengers who like the freedom to get a bus back and not wait long, they now have to plan their days around the hourly bus. The best thing they could do is hit the commuters with express buses. The route is too long and too infrequent. All it needs is an operator who cares about the routes and doesn't just focus on such high profit margins. Lower wages, the lower the cost, the lower the prices can go. The cost of using the 130 is expensive especially for short distance trips. Combined with high wages and high profit margin needed. It's no wonder the route struggles.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - knutstransport - 12/08/2018 08:35

(11/08/2018 18:58)iMarkeh Wrote:  The best thing they could do is hit the commuters with express buses.

I think that's something needed in Cheshire East generally but at the same time it's worth remembering places like Astra Zeneca, Macclesfield Hospital and Radbrooke Hall aren't on the direct routes so a direct express service from town a to town b may not always be the best thing.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - dca529x - 12/08/2018 08:59

(12/08/2018 08:35)knutstransport Wrote:  I think that's something needed in Cheshire East generally but at the same time it's worth remembering places like Astra Zeneca, Macclesfield Hospital and Radbrooke Hall aren't on the direct routes so a direct express service from town a to town b may not always be the best thing.

This is an interesting one. An operator who quite clearly isn't interested in the service and has quite successfully managed its decline by failing to address chronic unreliability, which drove passengers away nd a consequent frequency reduction, with the result that's its now just not attractive enough to encourage any new use, even though there are numerous new (and planned) housing developments along the corridor which could be tapped into. This set against a council that is just not interested in public transport. A perfect storm. A miracle if it survives.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - 33109 - 12/08/2018 10:22

Exactly, well said that man! Arriva haven't been bothered for a long while now, sky high fares & certain drivers who can be downright rude & right grouchy buggers doesn't at all help.

What cheshire east could really do with is a system 1 set-up where passengers could buy an anybus day or weekly ticket, that'd surely have some appeal for people?