Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Vehicle Database - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Vehicle Database (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

Pages: 1 2

Vehicle Database - E400 - 21/06/2015 09:41

I've been thinking of making an online vehicle database for some time now, and every time I see a huge list of registrations and their depot allocations or current status (similar to that shown here: http://dartslf.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=20&pid=70781#pid70781 ) it makes me want to get things centralised and organised.

So, before I start work on something, what are the thoughts of the community? If you could input your own information and edit vehicles when they swap depots or operators, then query the database for things such as "Enviro400s new to Arriva Birkenhead in 2009" to see where they all ended up -would you use this?

It seems that on this forum there is a wealth of information but it is scattered here there and everywhere. If it were all in one place with complete user control, then it might be a bit more useful to everybody and could provide a good historic record as it progresses.

What I envisage is a database which logs all changes to any vehicle - every depot it has belonged to, every operator, every registration, every internal asset number, maybe even route sightings, as I often see people posting "xxxxx seen on the 42 at New Ferry this morning".

So I just wanted to run it past you before I started work on it. Any potentialy ideas or features would be helpful too.

RE: Vehicle Database - T42 PVM - 21/06/2015 09:53

North East Buses are trying something like this with some of their Fleetlists
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/fleet/anefleet.php

It would be a good idea if it could be ran properly

RE: Vehicle Database - E400 - 21/06/2015 09:57

I appreciate the concerns of allowing anybody to edit it. If it were to be a popular idea, I'd probably look into whether it could be linked into a forum such as this so that there is accountability and tracking of changes so a username appears in a change history in much the same way as Wikipedia.

RE: Vehicle Database - E400 - 21/06/2015 10:00

(21/06/2015 09:50)Dentonian Wrote:  I would be very wary of allowing anybody and everybody to edit information, as this would lead to all sorts of misinformation. Other sites allow this and it leads to errors. The most common of which are:

Reallocating buses between subsidiary companies based on advanced plans from the Operator (which often change) or just rumour.

Removing buses completely when due to be withdrawn or even just placed in reserve.

Reallocating buses between depots even when only actually loaned or covering a breakdown/staff failure.

The problem is, if you have a small team who manage it, then it becomes a burden for, and relies on those people.

I can't really discuss plans to mitigate these things as this is all just my own thinking right now, but as for removing buses completely - this wouldn't be a problem, as withdrawn buses would remain on the database but would just show as withdrawn - there would be no delete option at all.

Do you have any ideas of how these issues could be resolved?

RE: Vehicle Database - R879 HRF - 21/06/2015 10:08

Perhaps if all public edits first had to be approved by an admin then it would be very useful!

RE: Vehicle Database - E400 - 21/06/2015 10:11

(21/06/2015 10:08)R879 HRF Wrote:  Perhaps if all public edits first had to be approved by an admin then it would be very useful!

Yes was just thinking something like that, and 'big' edits such as withdrawal or relocation required a few top-level approvals before going live to try and eliminate any potential issues?

RE: Vehicle Database - R879 HRF - 21/06/2015 12:46

(21/06/2015 10:11)Enviro400 Wrote:  Yes was just thinking something like that, and 'big' edits such as withdrawal or relocation required a few top-level approvals before going live to try and eliminate any potential issues?

Yes absolutely, it'd definitely be beneficial as I'm having trouble keeping up with the current fleet movements as it all seems fairly spontaneous..

RE: Vehicle Database - H101GEV - 21/06/2015 13:10

I would really welcome something like this as sadly I just don't have the time to keep the fleet lists as up-to-date as they should be.

RE: Vehicle Database - B10B6514 - 21/06/2015 15:49

I feel your idea is excellent but I would not include sightings unless they were from a different depot or operator as you could end up being inundated with eg. 7653 on route 10,43,437 or whatever 20 times a day. But say 7653 working out of Preston instead of Birkenhead would be of use.
BTW 7653 and the routes are hypothetical- an example of what could could happen if individual sightings from a home depot were permitted.

RE: Vehicle Database - Mayneway - 21/06/2015 16:28

I certainly think it's a good idea but a mammoth task getting it started. It would deffiantly be a good point of reference although I agree with Dentonian regarding edits etc. A lot of what gets reported both on this site and others but also more official sources like the PSVC and buses mag turns out not to happen or is months out if date, and even information on (for example) Stagecoach fleetcards can turn out not to happen, but from a personal point of view it would be good to have details of smaller independants recorded - while reports of what's going on at the larger and medium ops locally a lot of the smaller independants simply get overlooked.

I personally love the Brighton and Hove buses database on the enthusiasts section of their website. It lists every vehicle owned and operated by the company, has a detailed history including branding and liveries, and also includes photos of each vehicle in each livery when you click on the registration. It also lists who the vehicle gets sold into and again includes a photo/s of each vehicle with new operator.