Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Go Goodwins - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Go Goodwins (/showthread.php?tid=1005)

RE: Go Goodwins - Mayneway - 21/01/2017 21:14

(21/01/2017 21:08)Dentonian Wrote:  Maybe it was specifically "I'm a Little Gem" that was copyrighted. As for UK North, I pass no comment!

Uk north checked first and alledgedly non of the brands were copy written. They then paid to have it trademarked to them. If it had already been copy written they wouldn't have been able to use it.

Quite a silly mistake for GMPTE to make when they created GMB not protecting the brands in anyway.

RE: Go Goodwins - St Helens Rider - 21/01/2017 21:23

Just on a wider point and apologies for going slightly off topic. Not sure about Greater Manchester but I have heard that Arriva have all the rights to the Merseybus/MTL subsidiary fleetnames - although I presume heritage operations have permission.

RE: Go Goodwins - motormayhem1 - 21/01/2017 22:20

(21/01/2017 21:23)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Just on a wider point and apologies for going slightly off topic. Not sure about Greater Manchester but I have heard that Arriva have all the rights to the Merseybus/MTL subsidiary fleetnames - although I presume heritage operations have permission.

If they do then theres a minibus firm in rainford going by the brand merseybus.

RE: Go Goodwins - knutstransport - 22/01/2017 10:35

(21/01/2017 21:14)Mayneway Wrote:  Uk north checked first and alledgedly non of the brands were copy written. They then paid to have it trademarked to them. If it had already been copy written they wouldn't have been able to use it.

Quite a silly mistake for GMPTE to make when they created GMB not protecting the brands in anyway.

As they sold GM Buses North to First Group and GM Buses South to Stagecoach wouldn't any brand names associated with those two operations have been sold with the operation?

RE: Go Goodwins - knutstransport - 22/01/2017 10:38

(21/01/2017 21:05)Mayneway Wrote:  They have already changed the operating and Fleetnames on the Goodwins Classic licence to 'Little Gem Bus company' but as yet all the services are still run on the other licence.
I also noticed last week when I spotted one of thier Solos that the driver was wearing a GoGoodwins jumper and tie. As brand changes go it's extremely slow and messy and perhaps slightly confusing to passengers.

It reminds me a bit of the GHA Coaches' Macclesfield area operations with most of them running on Vale Travel licences but many operated using buses carrying GHA Coaches livery and legal details with a little piece of paper stuck in a window with 'Vale of Llangollen Travel' legal details on it.

RE: Go Goodwins - rod_259 - 22/01/2017 14:48

(22/01/2017 10:38)knutstransport Wrote:  It reminds me a bit of the GHA Coaches' Macclesfield area operations with most of them running on Vale Travel licences but many operated using buses carrying GHA Coaches livery and legal details with a little piece of paper stuck in a window with 'Vale of Llangollen Travel' legal details on it.

Probably my mind letting me down but wasn't Little Gem a Ribble company which it inherited from a previous acquisition in Preston?

RE: Go Goodwins - St Helens Rider - 22/01/2017 14:59

(22/01/2017 14:53)Dentonian Wrote:  No. It was GM Buses adopted for the minibus networks at dereg. I think Ribble ran something branded "Nippy" or "Nipper".
I think Ribble was the Zippy network in both Preston and then later in Greater Manchester area.

RE: Go Goodwins - NorthernCounties - 22/01/2017 21:46

(22/01/2017 10:35)knutstransport Wrote:  As they sold GM Buses North to First Group and GM Buses South to Stagecoach wouldn't any brand names associated with those two operations have been sold with the operation?

They were. First ran their service as greater Manchester buses north ltd for a few years and stagecoach Manchester is still gm buses south Ltd.

Its only a matter of time before the bus license is transfered to little gem

RE: Go Goodwins - NorthernCounties - 22/01/2017 21:50

(21/01/2017 21:05)Mayneway Wrote:  They have already changed the operating and Fleetnames on the Goodwins Classic licence to 'Little Gem Bus company' but as yet all the services are still run on the other licence.
I also noticed last week when I spotted one of thier Solos that the driver was wearing a GoGoodwins jumper and tie. As brand changes go it's extremely slow and messy and perhaps slightly confusing to passengers.

Let's not forget that rebranding is an expensive process.
I'm thinking they're going to make sure all rebranding and new uniforms are complete before applying to change the operating license

RE: Go Goodwins - Mayneway - 23/01/2017 01:11

(22/01/2017 10:35)knutstransport Wrote:  As they sold GM Buses North to First Group and GM Buses South to Stagecoach wouldn't any brand names associated with those two operations have been sold with the operation?

No because two new companies were created and all previous brands were dropped with neither operations picking up the little gem brand.
First very quickly dropped the GMN name altogether including on the licence where as Stagecoach is still officially 'greater Manchester buses south ltd'.