Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Halton Transport - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Halton Transport (/showthread.php?tid=10)

RE: Halton Transport - RSTurbo50 - 25/01/2013 09:17

I think it is one of the most unpleasent things I have ever seen. Now, where is that sick bucket lol..

RE: Halton Transport - DVL418 - 25/01/2013 13:55

(25/01/2013 09:17)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  I think it is one of the most unpleasent things I have ever seen. Now, where is that sick bucket lol..

Fortunately, what a small group of enthusiasts think about a bus livery is very low down on an operator's priorities.

What is impressive is that Halton Transport have clearly put a lot of careful thought and planning into this new service, and have backed it with a detailed multi-media promotion campaign, thus giving it a fighting chance of success - measured by bums on seats, not a debate by a couple of dozen people, most of whom will not use the service, on whether they have used the right shade of red.

As long as a bus has a clear destination display, is clean and on time is all most passengers are concerned about.

RE: Halton Transport - Valandil - 25/01/2013 15:51

Some operators put a lot of effort into liveries, some don't.

RE: Halton Transport - MPTE1955 - 25/01/2013 16:01

Whats not impressive is that Halton are starting the service with ageing Solos that most companies are withdrawing at the same age. I would imagine that these were bought so that losses can be minimised should the service not work, however if the service was to be a success I would then expect them to invest in vehicles a bit newer.

RE: Halton Transport - Valandil - 25/01/2013 16:13

(25/01/2013 16:01)MPTE1955 Wrote:  Whats not impressive is that Halton are starting the service with ageing Solos that most companies are withdrawing at the same age. I would imagine that these were bought so that losses can be minimised should the service not work, however if the service was to be a success I would then expect them to invest in vehicles a bit newer.

I agree.
By my reckoning, Halton's average vehicle age is about 8 years, but is set to increase over the coming years, as little or no investment in new vehicles seems likely.
(Info on the company's fleet list is well over a year out of date).

RE: Halton Transport - DVL418 - 25/01/2013 17:15

(25/01/2013 16:01)MPTE1955 Wrote:  Whats not impressive is that Halton are starting the service with ageing Solos that most companies are withdrawing at the same age. I would imagine that these were bought so that losses can be minimised should the service not work, however if the service was to be a success I would then expect them to invest in vehicles a bit newer.

Halton Transport, along with the other remaining local authority transport companies, is not allowed to make an annual trading loss. Therefore, it has to rely upon its limited resources to fund the aquisition of new capital equipment (vehicles). A task not made any easier by subsidy cuts and and any reduction in fairbox income.

However, over recent months they have started to market services more pro-actievly and re-cast their network to exploit existing income sources better, along with this venture into generating new income.

Good luck to them!

RE: Halton Transport - Raawwwrrr! - 25/01/2013 17:36

There is nothing to suggest that the livery will be used on any other vehcile in the fleet, it is quite simply the "minibus" livery for now.

On another not #24 has an exhaust problem. #7 has a geabox problem simular to #3
Both producing very loud and usual noises, with a decent turn of speed!

The rear seat on #29 is presumeably fixed, and is no longer creaking

Has anyone seen #71 lately? It's not been on the Cronton runs from what I've seen.

RE: Halton Transport - RSTurbo50 - 25/01/2013 18:50

I agree with many points above. Why buy old Solos and put them in service? Most companies wouldnt dream of running such vehicles in service. I look at Warrington as comparison. Yeah ok the budget at Network Warrington may be greater but why go for V plate Solos?? Why not go for MPD's, surely they could source some that wouldnt cost the earth??

RE: Halton Transport - Wright Eclipse - 25/01/2013 19:48

(25/01/2013 18:50)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  I agree with many points above. Why buy old Solos and put them in service? Most companies wouldnt dream of running such vehicles in service. I look at Warrington as comparison. Yeah ok the budget at Network Warrington may be greater but why go for V plate Solos?? Why not go for MPD's, surely they could source some that wouldnt cost the earth??

well centrebus paided around £800 each for theres so im guessing Halton paided around the same,MPDs from what ive seen range from £1,000 to £6,000 each.Halton from what ive seen have a moden fleet compared to some,Most if not all are DAA Plus times are hard - companys are having to spend less so if Halton can find some cheap,DAA Low floor buses fit for the job,then why not buy them?

RE: Halton Transport - motormayhem - 25/01/2013 22:21

They may invest in newer buses once they know the routes work as why pay high prices for buses when you dont know if the route is going to bring in the revenue to pay for new buses,remember this is a buissness thats getting hit hard just like all other bus companies are as we are in hard times at the momment so im guessing they just wanna play it safe at the momment which i dont blame them at all.