Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Halton Transport - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Halton Transport (/showthread.php?tid=10)

RE: Halton Transport - johnluke - 04/01/2020 21:12

(04/01/2020 21:08)wirralbus Wrote:  I just think Stagecoach are biding there time with regards Arriva's Runcorn depot.

The depot is just far enough away from any other stagecoach operation in Chester , Liverpool and Manchester to not be called in by the CMA.

Only when Arriva have sorted out whats happening will i deem Halton's work anything like secure.

There not much work stemming from arriva runcorn depot.....on the other side of the coin could it be a cartel for both to pull off the x5 and x1 to secure a non investigatory by the mmc

RE: Halton Transport - wirralbus - 04/01/2020 21:16

(04/01/2020 21:12)johnluke Wrote:  There not much work stemming from arriva runcorn depot.....on the other side of the coin could it be a cartel for both to pull off the x5 and x1 to secure a non investigatory by the mmc

Halton's 14 and 61 service's to liverpool are there moneyspinning routes , the 79C is really the only competing service. Service 61 is a round the houses service to Liverpool

RE: Halton Transport - CX06 EBK - 04/01/2020 21:35

I would suggest that Stagecoach pulled off the X5 purely for the reasons that they were not seeing the passenger numbers they want rather than a cartel to buy a depot which surely they would be free to buy if it came up for sale, being that they hardly operate in that area as it is now anyway.

As for Halton, those routes can't be massive money makers if they are only buying 15 year old Darts nowadays, a long way away from the days of new buses every few years.

RE: Halton Transport - johnluke - 04/01/2020 21:51

(04/01/2020 21:35)CX06 EBK Wrote:  I would suggest that Stagecoach pulled off the X5 purely for the reasons that they were not seeing the passenger numbers they want rather than a cartel to buy a depot which surely they would be free to buy if it came up for sale, being that they hardly operate in that area as it is now anyway.

As for Halton, those routes can't be massive money makers if they are only buying 15 year old Darts nowadays, a long way away from the days of new buses every few years.

The school contracts are a good money spinner..I can say that for when I had a 16 seater bus on a contract a few years ago that was 600 a week ..just on a 16 seater and short route

RE: Halton Transport - CX06 EBK - 04/01/2020 22:16

Though Halton will have to contend with the age related penalties that come with these tenders as they do seem to run a lot of the older Darts on there which will be over Merseytravels 15 year rule.

RE: Halton Transport - johnluke - 04/01/2020 22:39

I'm sure with it being a municipal halton borough council will step in when necessary as they own the company

RE: Halton Transport - Y458 KNF - 05/01/2020 11:53

(04/01/2020 22:39)johnluke Wrote:  I'm sure with it being a municipal halton borough council will step in when necessary as they own the company

I’m pretty sure Halton have a tight budget so they can’t really afford to buy brand new buses

RE: Halton Transport - RSTurbo50 - 06/01/2020 15:07

Passenger numbers on Halton services appear quite low so they will have to live within their means..

RE: Halton Transport - trixmax2000 - 06/01/2020 19:17

(04/01/2020 22:39)johnluke Wrote:  I'm sure with it being a municipal halton borough council will step in when necessary as they own the company

Halton Transport my be owned by the Council but since deregulation it cannot be founded by the Council and as to fend for itself like any other bus operator in England

RE: Halton Transport - Mayneway - 07/01/2020 13:54

(06/01/2020 19:17)trixmax2000 Wrote:  Halton Transport my be owned by the Council but since deregulation it cannot be founded by the Council and as to fend for itself like any other bus operator in England

Not strictly true. Network Warrington got into hard Financial Times a few years back and ended up being bailed out by its council owners. Yes the loan had to be paid back but the help is there if needed.