Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Halton Transport - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Halton Transport (/showthread.php?tid=10)

RE: Halton Transport - Lynx - 31/01/2016 12:51

(31/01/2016 12:03)RedPanda Wrote:  It must be the motion sensors then I'm thinking of.
I've never been on that route but those few extra seconds of a red light in theory works. Another option may be reducing the speed limit at the junction and putting speed cameras there.

To be perfectly honest, when you have drivers who willing to jump red lights (car or bus drivers) it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference. The only thing that could make the junctions 100% safe would be level crossing style barriers and realistically there is categorically no chance that would ever happen.

RE: Halton Transport - CX54 DKD - 31/01/2016 13:21

Cameras to pick up on those jumping the lights may well be beneficial though. The associated fine would I'm sure quickly become a deterant to drivers chancing it or jumping the lights completely.

RE: Halton Transport - RedPanda - 31/01/2016 13:58

(31/01/2016 13:21)CX54 DKD Wrote:  Cameras to pick up on those jumping the lights may well be beneficial though. The associated fine would I'm sure quickly become a deterant to drivers chancing it or jumping the lights completely.

To those on low incomes in corsas and fiestas yes but to those simon cowalls in their mercs and beamers then no cameras wouldn't work

RE: Halton Transport - CX54 DKD - 31/01/2016 18:17

(31/01/2016 13:58)RedPanda Wrote:  To those on low incomes in corsas and fiestas yes but to those simon cowalls in their mercs and beamers then no cameras wouldn't work
There's a mandatory training day after a number of convictions as well as 3 points along with the minimum fine at each conviction so, respectfully, I'd disagree with what you're saying. Besides which, even if it only perturbed certain drivers, that's still better than none and it also still reduces the likelihood of accidents occuring.

As a side note, I'd also disagree that just because someone drives a typically more expensive vehicle, they're willing or in a position to just throw money at fines.

RE: Halton Transport - trixmax2000 - 31/01/2016 20:33

(31/01/2016 11:14)Lynx Wrote:  I see your point but it wouldn't seem to make much difference in adding a extra few seconds. The two incidents I've mentioned aren't isolated incidents either, there are far to many near misses. More worryingly I've seen it to many times where drivers have jumped lights. This has been more limited to the quieter parts of the busway around Astmoor where drivers have a better view of traffic crossing the busway but it still shouldn't be occurring as there is still a element of risk involved.

I was a driver on the Busway from the day it opened until 2005 I had many a near misses with cars jumping the lights even had a motorbike hit me just in front of the rear axle,

All the traffic lights but for the A56 at Whitehouse are changed by the bus, it is the national speed limit on the Busway, A bus as to approach the lights at 37mph there are 3 sets of sensors in the road also there is a Yellow triangle painted on the road is a added warning to the driver at this point the lights should be changing for the bus if not the driver as time to stop,

When ever there is a RTA involving the lights the Police will always come along the Busway to check the lights,

Just saying that in all the time I was at my depot not one bus driver that as had a RTA at Busway traffic lights was prosecuted,

RE: Halton Transport - RedPanda - 31/01/2016 21:29

(31/01/2016 21:10)Dentonian Wrote:  Drifting off-topic, but wouldn't it be wonderful if all buses had sensors to change traffic lights to green or - more to the point - simply stop them changing to amber/red.

Are you saying that you should be fitted with a sensor lol

RE: Halton Transport - Lynx - 01/02/2016 00:52

(31/01/2016 20:33)trixmax2000 Wrote:  I was a driver on the Busway from the day it opened until 2005 I had many a near misses with cars jumping the lights even had a motorbike hit me just in front of the rear axle,

All the traffic lights but for the A56 at Whitehouse are changed by the bus, it is the national speed limit on the Busway, A bus as to approach the lights at 37mph there are 3 sets of sensors in the road also there is a Yellow triangle painted on the road is a added warning to the driver at this point the lights should be changing for the bus if not the driver as time to stop,

When ever there is a RTA involving the lights the Police will always come along the Busway to check the lights,

Just saying that in all the time I was at my depot not one bus driver that as had a RTA at Busway traffic lights was prosecuted,

With all due respect the time frame you mentioned was when cctv was not generally on board every bus. It has to be said however that when I've personally seen drivers jump red lights it has been on the more visible junctions but it's still no excuse, other times I've seen one bus follow another through just as the lights have gone red, no real risk but it still shouldn't be happening.

RE: Halton Transport - Mayneway - 01/02/2016 11:27

(01/02/2016 00:52)Lynx Wrote:  With all due respect the time frame you mentioned was when cctv was not generally on board every bus. It has to be said however that when I've personally seen drivers jump red lights it has been on the more visible junctions but it's still no excuse, other times I've seen one bus follow another through just as the lights have gone red, no real risk but it still shouldn't be happening.

If I'm completly honest as a regular bus user for longer than I care to remember, I've been on more buses where the driver has gone through a red light than I could possibly count on two hands. You only have to stand outside my local bus station to see that it happens on a regular basis - first bus will go through on amber followed by one, somtimes two buses that very clearly go through on red.

Then there's the bus drivers who pull into a bus stop to drop/pick up passengers or wait time then just pull out into traffic without giving way forcing cars approaching to slam on thier brakes.

What I'm trying to say is Bus and hgv drivers are often the worst of the lot!

RE: Halton Transport - buses7675 - 01/02/2016 13:51

With red lights though you have to remember with a bus you can't slam on like you can in a car as you will get whiplash claims.

I'm not saying you should go through red lights for no reason but say on a 40mph road lights change to amber/red in front of you it is often safer to carry on than attempt to stop as the bus would be unlikely to stop in time safely anyway. However, that said, you should always be aware that a green light may change but there is a 'point of no return' when you almost have to carry on.

RE: Halton Transport - RSTurbo50 - 01/02/2016 16:44

Agree totally with the above. Passengers don't seem to realise that it's not easy to just stop when driving a ten tonne vehicle and when approaching lights I always ease off the accelerator but as said above you get to the point of no return when it's safer to actually go through than slam on and cause injuries to passengers being thrown forward. It's even more apparent during wet conditions..