Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Northern Rail - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Transport (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Railways (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Northern Rail (/showthread.php?tid=61)

RE: Northern Rail - wirralbus - 06/03/2015 22:23

Now that the line is electrified is it possible for Pendolino's to be able to use the line between Liverpoool and Manchester Piccadilly as a possible diversionary route in the event of disruption via Weaver Junction.

RE: Northern Rail - Sprinterdriver - 06/03/2015 22:43

Theoretically yes, think there is a test booked at some stage.

SD.

RE: Northern Rail - St Helens Rider - 06/03/2015 23:02

(06/03/2015 22:23)wirralbus Wrote:  Now that the line is electrified is it possible for Pendolino's to be able to use the line between Liverpoool and Manchester Piccadilly as a possible diversionary route in the event of disruption via Weaver Junction.

I've thought now electrified, couldn't one of the 3 trains per hour betweem Manchester & London be extended to Liverpool calling at St Helens Junction, two objectives here, one being an extra London service from Liverpool and secondly giving St Helens a direct service to London.

Apologies for going slightly off topic but seeing as the matter was raised, thought I would add a viewpoint on this.

RE: Northern Rail - T42 PVM - 06/03/2015 23:44

(06/03/2015 23:02)St Helens Rider Wrote:  I've thought now electrified, couldn't one of the 3 trains per hour betweem Manchester & London be extended to Liverpool calling at St Helens Junction, two objectives here, one being an extra London service from Liverpool and secondly giving St Helens a direct service to London.

Apologies for going slightly off topic but seeing as the matter was raised, thought I would add a viewpoint on this.

The Platforms at St Helens Junction would need lengthening as the Train would not fit on the platform

RE: Northern Rail - St Helens Rider - 06/03/2015 23:47

(06/03/2015 23:44)bolton bus basher Wrote:  The Platforms at St Helens Junction would need lengthening as the Train would not fit on the platform

Surely there is space at the Western end to expand. The other ebd is obviously no-go due to the bridge.

RE: Northern Rail - T42 PVM - 06/03/2015 23:51

There is room going the other way and it would be nice to see better to see a better Train Service through St Helens but am not sure if the Costs would justify it in case the Service fails to pick up and is chopped

RE: Northern Rail - St Helens Rider - 07/03/2015 09:14

(06/03/2015 23:51)bolton bus basher Wrote:  There is room going the other way and it would be nice to see better to see a better Train Service through St Helens but am not sure if the Costs would justify it in case the Service fails to pick up and is chopped

I'm sure the loadings from Liverpool would justify the service. Having used services to/from Wigan, I have witnessed quite a lot of passengers changing from the London service to the Liverpool service mostly heading into St Helens - so I think a direct service would be well used.

RE: Northern Rail - childwallblues - 07/03/2015 13:48

Platform space at Lime Street could be a problem

RE: Northern Rail - wirralbus - 07/03/2015 19:48

I think only Platform 8 would be long enough for a pendolino to use other than the present platform 7.

Probably some retiming could see both services if it were ever to come about to use the same platform , with shorter dwell time in the platform at Liverpool .

I suspect it will only be used for Planned Engineering Work and Emergency use only due to the extra time incurred.

RE: Northern Rail - N271CKB - 08/03/2015 18:15

I'm sure I've seen pendolino on platforms 6 and 9 before now